Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Devil Wears Yogurt

Welcome to California: The Mecca of Frozen Yogurt.

As the Queen of Ice Cream, I will say that I miss JP Licks. A lot. However, I have begun to succumb to the tastiness and lifestyle of Californian Frozen Yogurt. I was informed by one of my favorite friends, Tynan Potter, that I should accept my addiction to Pinkberry before I arrived in L.A.

"Pinkberry? What's that" little naive Carrie asked.

Pinkberry is the chic frozen yogurt place that has been called a "cultural phenomenon" and "Tynan's favorite thing about California." I quickly tested the waters upon my arrival and decided that despite mixed reviews it WAS good. They offer an upscale atmosphere, three flavors, and many toppings, but it's a bit pricey.



I was next introduced to Yogurtland. Which is basically the cheap disneyland version of the disneyworld of Pinkberry. It's a self serve yogurt store with twenty flavors and unbelievable flouresent lights: but I accept that. Cause it's good and addictive. The best think about Yogurtland is you control how much you want and how much you pay for as you weigh your cup after filling it with toppings.




As with most things, you get what you pay for. I would say that Pink Berry's toppings are fresher and yogurt is more tart, but I'm going with the cash flow right now and working on the art of mixing Yogurtland flavors (cheesecake and vanilla wafer are winning right now).

I've spotted several other yogurt chains and it's clear that California loves the facade of eating healthy and still divulging. And I am totally okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment